Frequently asked questions


We are proud to be one of the very few high street independent estate agents to offer a dedicated and specialist Park Homes department.  Having worked in the Park Homes sector for many years, we are highly experienced in the buying and selling of these homes. 


We are able to offer assistance with the Mobile Homes Act, park rules, valuing, marketing and selling your Park Home.  If you are looking at buying your first Park Home, we can assist you in the purchasing process and can guide you through it.


To buy or sell a Park Home, it is up to you whether you use the services of a solicitor.  If you decide to save that money, we can help deal with the legal documents that are required for the purchase or sale.  We do not charge an extra fee for this service and offer it to make your life easier.


Having been one of the UK’s largest Park Homes specialist estate agents, we have a huge database of people looking solely for residential Park Homes.  We get many enquiries from people asking us to source a Park Home in a particular area or on a particular park.  Being recognised for this, we get lots of potential vendors asking us to market their home on the open market or discreetly.  We have been very successful over the years at matching buyers with their next dream Park Home before they even hit the market.


 Website banners (1)





We regularly get asked questions regarding Park Homes.  Here are just a few.  



What is a Park Home?

Park Homes are a unique form of home ownership. The Park Home owner owns the Park Home but not the ground it is located on as it is not physically attached to the ground. There are many different types of licensed sites on which mobile homes can be located, including a bungalow style home which is built in a factory and transported to a private park or a timber framed construction but with insulation and cladding found on most modern built homes. 


Can I live in a Park Home permanently?

As long as you purchase a Park Home with a Residential Licence you will class this as your main and full time address.  A Park Home with a Leisure Licence will only ever be classed as a holiday home and therefore you will not have the protection of the Mobile Homes Act.


 What are some of the benefits of living in a Park Home?

💚 Bungalow style single level living

💚 Normally cheaper than a bricks and mortar bungalow

💚Set within a private park of like minded people who like the community living

💚Built to full BS3632 building standards and benefit from good insulation, central heating and energy efficient boilers

💚Cost effective

💚Available in a variety of sizes from small single units to large twin units

💚Protected under the Mobile Homes Act


Are Residential Parks for retired people only?

Residential Parks normally have a minimum age limit for people who can reside on the park.  In fact, the majority of parks are designed for over 50s, semi-retired or retired residents.


Can I get a mortgage on a Park Home

Unlike a traditional bricks and mortar house, you cannot get a mortgage on a Park Home. This is because the land they stand on is owned by the site owner, not the resident.   As such, there is no formal title registered with the Land Registry, meaning there is nothing for the lender to secure the mortgage against.

However, finance is available and there are specialist companies (Pegasus) available that will provide low interest finance for up to a 15 year period.  Click the link here for our recommended provider


How do I arrange insurance for my Park Home

Insurance for residential park homes is provided by several companies, such as Adrian Flux Insurers. Specialist insurers can offer comprehensive cover at competitive prices. For a no obligation quote, call 0800 085 6158


Should I get a survey when buying a Park Home?

If you are buying an older home, it is advisable to get a full survey, just as you would with a house. It is important that the surveyor gives you an opinion on the condition of the home and any repair work necessary. We have specialist Park Home surveyors available.


Can my pet live with me on the park?

This is dependent on the individual park rules.  Most parks do allow you to keep domestic pets (providing they are not listed on The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 list). The parks sometimes have a rule that states that when a pet passes on, it is not to be replaced – again, it is in your interest to check the individual park rules.  This rule will not apply to an official ‘Assistance Dog’.


Does a Park Home automatically decrease in value?

A Park Home can increase or decrease in value like a traditional built home.  If it is well looked after and situated on a desirable park, then it can hold its value for many years.  Park Homes tend to last for around 70 – 80 years and like with anything, need keeping up to date.  If a Park Home needs vast modernisation when it comes to sell, this will in turn have an effect on the saleable value.


Can I rent out my Park Home?

The majority of Residential Parks do not permit the letting out of properties.  As there are Park Rules and criteria to meet in order to live on parks, the Park Owner will need to ensure this.  If properties are let out, then this becomes very difficult.


Do I have to ‘upgrade’ or ‘renew’ my Park Home?

No, is the simple answer.  As long as you purchase a Park Home with a Residential Licence, then there is no end date to the licence and there is no need, rule or expectation to upgrade or renew a home.  Under the park rules, there will probably be a clause about home maintenance.  There will be an expectation that homes must be kept in good condition – this in turn will help keep a park looking its best and will hep with the resale value of homes.

A property with a Leisure Licence is very different and more often than not will have a ‘Licence End Date’.  This means the property will probably have to be removed from the site or replaced with a new one.


Who can live with me? 

Under the Mobile Homes Act, you will have signed to say who is purchasing the property.  That could be one or two of you.  Whoever is stated on the Schedules, is legally allowed to reside in the property.  If, you purchase on your own, and then meet someone who you want to move in with you, providing they meet the park criteria, then this is no problem.  The most common issue, that would prevent someone being allowed to reside in your home, is the age rule.  If there is a clear minimum age requirement to live on the park you are interested in, then, this must be adhered to.

Friends, family and children are welcome to visit and stay with you, however, they will not be permitted to reside, as per the above.



Can I have friends or family visit and stay with me?

Of course!  The Park Home will be your home.  You can have visitors to stay, however you will probably find that there will be a limit of how long visitors can stay.  Remember that any visitors will be expected to adhere to the park rules for the duration of their stay.



What is a pitch fee and how much does it cost?

To occupy a home on a park, you will need to pay a pitch fee. This may be paid to the park owner weekly, monthly or annually. It will form part of your agreement and includes charges to cover the park's running costs, including items such as sewerage, water, upkeep of the communal grounds, road maintenance etc. Cost vary, but fees usually start from around £80 per month.


What costs can I expect to pay on a regular basis?

As in a traditional built property, there are costs for day to day living.  Here are a few things to consider:

💚Council Tax (Residential Park Homes tend to be Band A, however this can be different depending on area)

💚Pitch Fee (The fee payable to the park, normally monthly)

💚Gas, Electricity & Water – These could be to suppliers of choice or to the park.

💚TV Licence




What documents should I receive when I buy a Park Home?


Under the amended Mobile Homes Act, all prospective owners of new Park Homes (i.e. those purchased brand new from the park owner) must receive a written agreement from the park owner at least 28 days before they complete their purchase and move in, to give them time to understand exactly how things will work. This Written Statement is the most important document you will receive as it sets out the terms on which you are entitled to keep your home on the park and explains your rights in law. Once the agreement is signed, you will need to keep it in a safe place, should you wish to sell at a later date this document is to be passed to the new purchaser.



If you are buying a used Park Home, you will take over the existing Written Statement (see above) from the outgoing occupier. This will need to be formally transferred to you. The seller will also need to complete the following forms: Buyers' Information Form; Notice of Proposed Sale Form; Assignment Form; Notice of Assignment Form.



What happens if I decide to sell my park home?


Park Homes are sold for many reasons, and here at Love Park Homes, we have dealt with every kind of sale you can imagine.  If you would like us to arrange a realistic up to date market appraisal we will use our vast experience and in-depth knowledge of the Park Homes industry to advise you the best we can.  Once a marketing strategy has been agreed, we will list your property on the open market, arranging all viewings, until we receive that all important offer.

You are fully entitled to engage with a solicitor, if you wish, however, we do organise the full sales process as part of our fee, and ensure that the legal documents are completed in a timely manner in-line with The Mobile Homes Act.

Upon completion of a sales, we will have advised the purchaser of the breakdown of costs due.  For residential Park Homes, 90% of the sale price will be paid to the seller direct on completion, and 10% of the sale price will be paid to the park owner direct, within seven days of completion.


Do I need a solicitor when I sell my Park Home?

It is optional if you wish to have a solicitor deal with the purchase of your property, as specialist agents we are able to complete and provide all relevant documentation for the sale process and manage this from start to finish with no additional cost.


What happens to my Park Home if I should die?

If you should pass away whilst still living in your Park Home, then the occupation agreement will automatically transfer over to your widow or widower.  If you were not married, however lived with someone, then this rule still applies.

It is best to seek the advice of a solicitors to draw up a will.  If your wishes were to have your Park Home passed on to a particular person/s, then this would be needed to ascertain. 


If you lived with someone, but the Park Home was left to say, your children, then the person living in the property would have automatic right to continue residing, however, they would not be allowed to sell the home.

This link will give you further details


It is important to remember:

💚10% of the sale price must be paid to the park owner within seven days of a sale completing - This is paid by the purchaser.

💚It is your choice if you use a solicitor or not.

💚We will deal with the marketing and sale of your property and a solicitor is not legally required if you choose our service. We do not charge extra for the sale process and your set fee      will be all you have to pay us.